Saturday, June 23, 2007

Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl

I've almost put this book down several times; it's one of those modern, ultra-referential tomes that features too many clauses in just about every sentence. Variety I can handle; but sentence-packing consistently makes me feel too conscious about what I'm reading. Plus it's too aware of itself and of its being written; I wonder if that makes it something called a "self-conscious text"? I think it might be. I like this book best not when I'm reading it, but rather when I think about the story afterward. So I look forward to finding out what happens, but sort of dread it a bit also, and dreading my current reading book sometimes (not always) makes me want to drop it. Before I do, here's some things I'll consider.

Why I Want to Keep Reading:
I'm intrigued by main character Blue and her not-sociopathic father, Gareth.
I like the parenthetical references to other books. Makes me want to add to already-too-long reading list.

Why I Don't Want to Keep Reading:
I flipped ahead about two hundred pages and read one paragraph and didn't understand a word. It's like a different book. Daunting.
Paraenthetical references to other books make me feel overwhelmed, like when Rory freaked out about all the books in the Harvard library (Gilmore Girls reference; sorry).
Too many butterflies.
The twelve books overdue from the library that are piled enticingly on my nightstand...

2 comments:

nosepail said...

I feel similarly about reading Volume 2 of Lord Randolph Churchill....

T. Crockett said...

What prompted you to start reading this? Is it a "have to", a "this might work" or just a random selection off the shelf?